Coffee is the most popular beverage in the US, but Americans and people from all around the world also enjoy other kinds of drinks.
To understand beverage trends we’ve analyzed data on the production, sale, and consumption of non-coffee drinks around the world and compiled detailed statistics.
Let’s take a look!
The Beverage Industry Statistics
1. In 2019, 64% of Americans aged 18 and over drank coffee every day. (NCA)
2. The global non-alcoholic beverage market was worth USD 967.3 billion in 2016. (Grand View Research)
3. The global beverage market was estimated at USD 1,544.61 billion in 2018 and is projected to grow by 3.1% each year. (Business Wire)
4. At this pace, the beverage market will exceed USD 1.86 trillion by 2024. (Business Wire)
5. 906.1 billion liters of non-alcoholic beverages were sold globally in 2018. Non-alcoholic beverages include bottled water, soft drinks, energy drinks, juices, ready-to-drink coffee and tea, sports beverages, etc. (Statista)
6. Bottled water accounts for 8% of beverage sales. (Statista)
7. In 2020, the revenue of the non-alcoholic drinks market amounted to $1,038,054 million. Annual growth is expected to be 6.8%. (Statista)
8. The volume of juice sales worldwide in 2019 was 11.26 billion cases. (Statista)
9. The largest segment of the market is soft drinks, which amounts to $667.384 million in 2020. (Statista)
10. Most beverage revenue is generated in the United States. (Statista)
11. Per capita, non-alcoholic beverage revenues are $139.47 per person in the US. (Statista)
12. Per capita consumption of soft drinks in the United States is 625 liters. (Statista)
13. Consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages (SSB) varies by location (CDC):
- 68% of adults living in the Northeast drink SSB
- 67% of adults living in the South drink SSB
- 61% of adults living in the West drink SSB
- 59% of adults living in the Midwest drink SSB
14. 52% of sugary drinks are consumed at home, and 48% outside the home. (CDC)
15. In only 2 out of 23 US states surveyed did less than 20% of adults consume sugary beverages daily. (CDC)
16. Map of the consumption of sweet drinks by US states (CDC):
17. Leading companies in the production of soft drinks globally (Statista):
18. Leading brands of soft drinks in the US (Statista):
19. Net profits of the Coca-Cola Company from 2007 to 2019 (Statista):
20. Revenue distribution of The Coca-Cola Company across operating regions (Statista):
21. Net revenue of PepsiCo worldwide from 2007 to 2019 (Statista):
22. Distribution of PepsiCo’s net revenue by product type (Statista):
23. Non-alcoholic drink revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2025 (projected) (Statista):
24. Average revenue per capita (in USD) (Statista):
25. Beverage sales by type (Statista):
26. Share of non-alcoholic beverage revenue at home and outside the home (Statista):
27. Market volume of non-alcoholic beverages in liters (Statista):
28. Average volume per capita in liters (Statista):
29. Consumption of bottled water per capita in Europe in liters in 2017 (Statista):
Coffee is part of the lives of everyone on the MyFriendsCoffee team. We are a group of professional baristas, coffee bean roasters, and coffee machine repairers. Coffee has connected us, and together we strive to provide the best information to our readers.
Our responsibility is to provide advice on any and all coffee-related issues. And we know that to do this we must be experts in this field.
Coffee consumption culture has changed dramatically over several centuries. New brewing methods, bean quality control methods, roasting methods, and much more have appeared. We are sure that coffee will change further, and we want to be involved in changing it for the better.